Faculty Resource NetworkAn academic partnership devoted to faculty development. Now in our fourth decade, we remain committed to this partnership, and to fostering connection, collaboration, and collegiality among our members.
Engaging With Diversity in the College Classroom
In recent years, higher education in the United States has been called to confront and respond to issues of diversity to ensure that all students have a real place – and a real change for success – in college. While diversity can be considered in many contexts, this symposium focuses on one: the classroom. How can faculty members engage productively with diversity in our classrooms, in ways that enable and enrich student learning?
The college classroom today looks and sounds very different than it did even a decade ago, and it will look even more different a decade hence. Students from previously underrepresented minorities, transgender students, international students, first-generation students, transfer students, commuters, veterans, students with disabilities, and other students with varied backgrounds and degrees of preparation are all contributing to classroom diversity. What are the implications of this new educational landscape, and how are faculty members implementing pedagogies, curricula, and other classroom practices that support students’ educational success?
The 2017 Faculty Resource Network National Symposium, taking place in New Orleans, Louisiana, will address these challenging questions by drawing on our collective experience and expertise as scholars, educators, and administrators. We look forward to holding our sessions at FRN institution Dillard University.
Registration Deadline: November 9, 2017
Hotel Reservation Deadline: October 14, 2017
Participation in the National Symposium is free of charge for faculty members and administrators from Faculty Resource Network and Leadership Alliance member institutions. For participants outside of the FRN consortium, there will be a $200 registration fee. Upon receipt of your registration form, you will receive an invoice for payment.
To register for the symposium, please use the link below to access the online symposium registration form: https://nyu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_7R4iARAqJi2Xk7X
For your convenience, a block of rooms has been reserved for attendees of the Faculty Resource Network National Symposium at the Ritz-Carlton New Orleans Hotel. Additional information about hotel amenities is located on their website, at http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/hotels/new-orleans
Special Symposium Rate
Rooms are available at $219 per night, and are on reserve for November 16, 17, and 18. For the best room selection and availability, please make your plans as early as possible.
All reservations can be made by calling the Ritz-Carlton Central Reservations at 1 (800) 826-8987. Information that should be provided over the phone is included below:
Group Name: Faculty Resource Network National Symposium 2017
Group Date: November 16, 17, 18, 2017
Group Codes: UTEUTEA (Deluxe Accommodations – $219)
Please note that if you use these codes outside of the blocked dates, the codes will not work and you will be told there are no rooms, etc. If you would like to stay on dates outside of the block, it will be determined on an availability basis.
Reservations will be accepted at the group rate until October 14, 2017. Any reservations over and above the group block are based on availability.
The Ritz-Carlton New Orleans Hotel online registration page is located at this link: https://www.marriott.com/reservation/availability.mi?propertyCode=MSYRZ&clusterCode=group&groupCode=UTEUTEA&fromDate=11/16/17&toDate=11/19/17
Limited ground transportation between the Ritz-Carlton New Orleans Hotel and symposium venues will be provided by the Faculty Resource Network.
Previous National Symposia
- 2019 National Symposium: "Critical Conversations and the Academy"
- 2018 National Symposium: "Transforming Teaching Through Active Learning"
- 2017 National Symposium: "Engaging With Diversity in the College Classroom"
- 2016 National Symposium: "Teaching a New Generation of Students"
- 2015 National Symposium: "Advancing Social Justice From Classroom to Community"
- 2014 National Symposium: "The Global Imperative for Higher Education"
- 2013 National Symposium: "Reinventing Liberal Education"
- 2012 National Symposium: "New Faces, New Expectations"
- 2011 National Symposium: "Emerging Pedagogies for the New Millennium"
- 2010 National Symposium: "Engaging Students in the Community and the World"
- 2009 National Symposium: "Challenge as Opportunity: The Academy in the Best and Worst of Times"
- 2008 National Symposium: "Defining and Promoting Student Success"
- 2007 National Symposium: "Advancing Women and the Underrepresented in the Academy"
- 2006 National Symposium: "The Millennial Student"
- 2005 National Symposium: "Spirituality and Higher Education"
- 2004 National Symposium: "Beyond Brown vs. Board of Education: Diversity and Higher Education"
- 2003 National Symposium: "Approaching Assessment: The Road Ahead"
- 2002 National Symposium: "Being a Professor..."
- 2000 National Symposium: "The Future of Liberal Arts Education"
- 1999 National Symposium: "The Teaching and Learning Continuum"